My tumblr and Twitter feed are filling up with a new “Fuck you, Trudeau” meme. Webcomic authors & fans alike (myself included) are feeling a bit miffed at Doonesbury’s apparent flipping of the bird to online comics, today.
Now, I love Doonesbury. I also love newspapers. I don’t want print media to go away. That said, saying it’s the only way (especially for comics) is just plain insulting, and reeks of elitism.
All due respect to Gary Trudeau, whose work I adore and respect, but this strip represents an archaic, narrow-minded, elitist mindset.
I hope this meme spreads.
- The Doonesbury strip in question, as it appears in Doonesbury’s online edition. Can you feel the irony?
- PvP’s Scott Kurtz tweets his insertion. (Read PvP)
- Templar, Arizona’s Spike tweets the strip as it appears in The Oregonian. (Read Templar, Arizona)
- The meme begins, as webcomic author/Illustrator David Willis inserts a page from Aaron Diaz’s Dresden Codak into the blank space. (Read Dresden Codak)
- David Willis continues the meme with an insertion from one of his own webcomics. (Read Dumbing of Age)
- Linkara from Atop The Fourth Wall inserts himself. (Watch Atop The Fourth Wall)
- Gunnerkrigg Court insertion. (Read Gunnerkrigg Court)
- Garfield Minus Garfield insertion. Possibly my favorite; the meme going meta, in an all too fitting way. (Read Garfield Minus Garfield)
Thanks for collecting these!
Also, I love Doonesbury, but any veteran cartoonist should really know that leaving a big empty spot is just asking for it. Filling blank spots is what cartoonists do.