Stories to Watch: 2/15/13.
The Russian meteor is pretty well-explained here. My favorite tangential, not-really-meteor-related tidbit, explaining how an event that only lasted about a second or two could generate so much video: “[L]ots of Russians have dashboard mounted cameras in their car to deal with widespread corruption and insurance scams, leading the country to be a leading source of YouTube videos.” Accidental citizen journalism at its finest.
It’s a lie that’s been making the rounds of the rightwing nutosphere — and now it’s being repeated by Ted Nugent: four handguns were not used in the Sandy Hook School Massacre. It was a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle. Period. End of story. If the case anti-gun control people have to make is so good, why are they constantly lying to everyone?
A smart take by Robert Reich on the renewed Republican push for a Balanced Budget Amendment.
OK, this is about as dumb and ridiculous as it gets: a Christian right radio host says gay rights impede on her right not to have to see gay people. Apparently, their lack of invisibility offends. I say this impedes on my right not to be aware of stupid people. I’m being oppressed.
Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson says he voted against the Violence Against Women Act because it’s unconstitutional. Now seems like a good time to suggest everyone follow Our Dumb Senator on Tumblr, to keep up with all the idiotic shit Johnson says and does.
GOP Rep. Marsha Blackburn completely flubs her argument against raising the minimum wage, by suggesting that 10 bucks an hour is a hardship wage. She does this by being apparently unaware of inflation.
If everything goes as planned, it’s very likely we’ll discover extraterrestrial life between 2024 and 2027.
This is what happens when you have people arguing that the Second Amendment is there to protect us from “tyrants” — people start to think they have every right to the assassin’s veto. The politically-motivated killing of people you don’t agree with is terrorism, not patriotism. People making this argument are actively encouraging would-be assassins. Stop it. Now.
GOP claims that they aren’t filibustering Chuck Hagel are BS. “It’s not a filibuster. I don’t want to use that word,” says Sen. James Inhofe. Too bad, Jimmy boy. There’s no other name for it. Still, it’s a good sign that they’re afraid of the word. It means they know people are paying attention and don’t like what they’re seeing.
Finally, Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s aggressive questioning of bank regulators yesterday has Wall Street fat cats… Oh, what is the word all the young people use these days? Ah yes, “butthurt.” It has Wall Street fat cats butthurt. My sympathies go out to those who have to listen to rich pricks whine.
[photo via Talking Points Memo]
via: truth-has-a-liberal-bias , source: quickhits
- firefly-in-the-night likes this
- mushroomfailure likes this
- soreiyu likes this
- ryoseth likes this
- cyborgmemoirs likes this
- pinkbaron likes this
- zanbandia reblogged this from rikki-tikki-tavvi
- trace-element reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- trace-element likes this
- alexbermudez likes this
- arobinfishason likes this
- thewhiteabyss likes this
- freddythemonkee reblogged this from quickhits
- stuffmymonkey2 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- imnotlikeotherbois likes this
- flufflogic likes this
- ithinkiwillgotoboston reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- minor-womens-whiplash likes this
- 6stronghands likes this
- sublimepsychosis likes this
- eliorakw likes this
- thederidiabletower reblogged this from social-darwin-awards
- witchcult666 likes this
- leftinsidethewires likes this
- achipandachair likes this
- occupy-my-blog reblogged this from 6dogs9cats
- toxiee likes this
- defenderofdust likes this
- pandahspunk likes this
- zaneharman reblogged this from realworldnews
- cneggles reblogged this from victusinveritas
- riseofcthulhu reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- piecesoflogic likes this
- william-fuckner likes this
- letfreedomlulz likes this
- neverknewandneverwill likes this
- zaneharman likes this
- dendroica likes this
- kittiekami reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- tin-foil-and-cigarettes likes this
- tin-foil-and-cigarettes reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- axlikelyxstory likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- alittledropofheaven likes this
- laziestgenius likes this
- peaceanddoubts likes this
- tydolatry likes this
- steelwaters likes this