It was already approaching 100° at 8 a.m. when I arrived at the Park Hyatt where, after 22 months of stalled negotiations, hotel workers were staging a one-day picket to protest the hotel chain’s intolerable treatment of their housekeeping staff.
In case you didn’t know, Hyatt is owned by the Pritzker family. Heiress Penny Sue Pritzker chairs Obama’s national campaign finance committee. She is also big player in Democratic Party politics as well as in the world of anti-union, corporate school reform and was recently appointed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to a seat on the Chicago school board.
Pritzker’s response to the Park Hyatt strikers was to turn on the hotel’s powerful heating lamps to try and bake the workers into submission on this brutally hot day. But this seemingly inhuman and probably illegal response seemed to have had just the opposite effect. Picketers began chanting, “Hyatt can’t take the heat, but we can!” The lamps were left on until word got out and media began to show up.
This is completely wrong, and I would think constitutes reckless endangerment. I will never stay at a Hyatt again.
At least she can claim she’s working on Job Creation.
via: cognitivedissonance , source: cognitivedissonance
tagged as: Union, union-busting, unions, Hyatt, politics,
- littleredwolverine reblogged this from bittergrapes and added:
- excusemewhileimuse reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- theeggjuggler reblogged this from i-am-a-child-of-time and added:
- jkirchartz likes this
- kaksipsalmia reblogged this from i-am-a-child-of-time and added:
- bittergrapes reblogged this from lord-kitschener
- gilmoure reblogged this from cognitivedissonance and added:
- lord-kitschener reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- i-am-a-child-of-time reblogged this from cognitivedissonance and added:
- kricket-wood likes this
- beyondloveandhate reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- cognitivedissonance posted this